Urban Systems Foundation Supports Imagination Library for October 2022
October 18, 2022
We would like to extend a BIG Thank YOU to Urban Systems Ltd. for their recent donation of $3,000 towards our Dolly Parton Imagination Library children’s book program through the Urban Systems Foundation! This support one whole month of books in our community!
To date the Urban Systems Foundation has donated $10,100 towards this program, providing over 2,800 books for children right here in Fort St. John and surrounding areas!
Thank you again for all you do for our community Urban Systems Foundation!!
New Year’s Eve Celebration/Fundraiser is BACK!!
October 13, 2022
Tickets $59.99 +taxes/fees
Early Bird – ONLY the first 100 tickets $40+ taxes/fees, so act fast!!
September 14, 2022
We are so excited to be celebrating Literacy Month!! Please see below for our calendar of events and posters.
September is Literacy Month!
September 1, 2022
We are once again celebrating Literacy Month with a 2022 theme of Literacy Connects Us!
- Literacy connects us to health. Canadians with stronger literacy skills enjoy better health.
- Literacy skills help us find, understand and use health information.
- Literacy connects us to our kids. Having books and reading aloud at home help develop children’s literacy skills.
- Literacy connects us to better finances. Strong numeracy skills help us manage our money.
- Literacy connects us to employment. Strong literacy skills are connected to having a job and earning more money.
- Literacy connects us to health and safety. Strong literacy skills help keep us safe at work.
- Literacy connects us to learning. People with stronger literacy skills are more likely to participate in adult education and job-related training.
In the community
- Literacy connects us to civic engagement. Canadians with strong literacy skills are more likely to vote and volunteer.
- Literacy connects us to others. Literacy skills help us communicate, participate and feel included.
- Literacy connects us to our rights. Literacy helps us understand our rights and responsibilities. It helps us understand what to do in legal proceedings.
- Literacy connects us to the digital world. Digital access and skills allow people to fully participate in society.
Please see below for some activities happening this month:
- September 8th: International Literacy Day – we will be joining many communities across BC with a purple light up in Fort St. John. Can you find it?
- September 10th: Visit us at the Community One Stop registration for fall program information and registration.
- September 13th – Any Book Club: One-day event at the Fort St. John Public Library for children ages 6-11 to bring in their favourite book to discuss and complete a craft.
- September 13th – Nutritional Literacy class with Beccalicious Cooking
- September 17th- 7 Teaching activity package pick up at the Fort St. John Public Library.
- September 19th – Talk like a Pirate Day: Picture contest with the Fort St. John Public Library.
- September19-25th – StoryWalk: Stuck – Oliver Jeffers at Fish Creek Community Forest. Thank you City of Fort St. John Recreation Department for putting this together!
Poetry Month Draw
April 29, 2022
Family Literacy Week – January 23-30 2022
January 20, 2022
The City of Fort St. John, along with the Province of British Columbia has proclaimed Family Literacy Week 2022 in Fort St. John and BC from January 23rd to January 30th. The week includes ABC Life Literacy Canada’s Family Literacy Day on January 27th.
Decoda Literacy Solutions and its partner organizations across BC, such as the Fort St. John Literacy Society will celebrate throughout the week.
This year’s theme, “Let’s Connect!”, encourages families to connect and learn and play together.
Families are children’s first and most important teachers. When families connect, they build strong relationships, create trust, and support children’s social, emotional and physical health.
Provincial Family Literacy Week 2022 activities include:
- Family Literacy Week Photo Contest for individuals or classes. Participants can take photos of family literacy activities using the “Let’s Connect!” theme, post on social media with the hashtags #FLW2022 or #Connect4Literacy and be entered to win a prize.
- Family Literacy Week Activity Sheets posted as free downloads at decoda.ca.
- Family Literacy Week Events posted at decoda.ca.
- Read All About Lit Family Literacy Week blog posts throughout Family Literacy Week.
Local Family Literacy Week activities include:
- Book Scavenger Hunt and Park Exploration: Each day from January 23-30th a clue and photo will be posted on our Facebook page, which will allow you to use your super detective skill to find a package of books and goodies. Don’t forget to post a photo of the found package so we know it made it home safely. While you’re there, be sure to check out all the fun equipment available at the many parks in Fort St. John.
- StoryWalk: Thanks to the City of Fort St. John Recreation, there will be a StoryWalk at Matthews Park from Jan 17-30. Featuring the book All Right Already – A Snowy Story by Jory John and Benji Davies
- Literacy in the Kitchen – Meal Prep Edition:
We are excited to be teaming up with Beccalicious Cooking again to offer a FREE and interactive virtual Literacy in the Kitchen workshop: Meal Prep Edition.This 1.5 hr(ish) meal prep class is an overview of how to create some ease into our busy days!Proteins…Carbs…veggies
We will prep our veggies for the week, cook up our protein and carbs and use lots of fresh herbs and spices to make a simply delicious meal!A bundle of goodies, the Zoom link, shopping list and recipes will all be provided!This meal prep class is not intended for that nights dinner!
- Financial Literacy – How to Teach Your Kids About Money:
This workshop helps with the goals and challenges of raising money-smart kids.LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR PARTICIPANTS:
-obtain information and tips to raise kids who are financially independent and responsible
-better understand the challenges of raising money-smart kids
-learn how to address age-appropriate money-related topics with young kids, pre-teens, teenagers and emerging adultsThis is a FREE event, however please ensure you register as the Zoom link will only be sent to registered participants.
- Community Safety/Fire Prevention Live: The Fort St. John Fire Department for hosting a fire prevention/community safety live video on January 27th from 12:30pm-1:00pm
- Family Tree Activity Sheets: One great way to connect to your family and recognize all the things we can be grateful for is through the activity sheets found Here
Hiring for Settlement Language Support Worker
November 15, 2021
The Fort St. John Literacy is seeking dynamic and energetic part time Settlement Language Support Worker. The successful candidate will be facilitating a weekly conversation circle to strengthen English skills, with a focus on community connections and life in Canada; assessing the needs of immigrants who are studying English as a second language; responsible for lesson plan creation and development of learner-based curriculum; assisting learners with onboarding to virtual service delivery; and all necessary reporting of the above tasks.
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate preferred or experience in teaching English as a Second Language
- Two years in a teaching environment, preferably with adults
- Certificate in Canadian Language Benchmark levels would be an asset
- PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) experience would be an asset
- Organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Great oral and written communication
- Self motivation and excellent team work skills
- Ability to work independently and be flexible
Terms of employment:
- 12 hours a week
- Competitive wages.
How to apply:
- Send a cover letter with a resume to email@example.com
2021 Annual General Meeting
November 15, 2021
Date: Tuesday December 7, 2020
Time: 6.00 pm
Where: Zoom meeting
What: Annual general meeting, presentation of financials, election of directors of the Board, membership only.
R.S.V.P.: Please email Jessica Kalman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sock It To Literacy
September 13, 2021
Young Adult Book Club
September 13, 2021
We are super excited to announce that our monthly Young Adult Book Club is starting back up again!! Just in time for Literacy Month! #LiteracyConnectsUs #LiteracyMatters