Family Literacy Week – January 23-30 2022
January 20, 2022
The City of Fort St. John, along with the Province of British Columbia has proclaimed Family Literacy Week 2022 in Fort St. John and BC from January 23rd to January 30th. The week includes ABC Life Literacy Canada’s Family Literacy Day on January 27th.
Decoda Literacy Solutions and its partner organizations across BC, such as the Fort St. John Literacy Society will celebrate throughout the week.
This year’s theme, “Let’s Connect!”, encourages families to connect and learn and play together.
Families are children’s first and most important teachers. When families connect, they build strong relationships, create trust, and support children’s social, emotional and physical health.
Provincial Family Literacy Week 2022 activities include:
- Family Literacy Week Photo Contest for individuals or classes. Participants can take photos of family literacy activities using the “Let’s Connect!” theme, post on social media with the hashtags #FLW2022 or #Connect4Literacy and be entered to win a prize.
- Family Literacy Week Activity Sheets posted as free downloads at decoda.ca.
- Family Literacy Week Events posted at decoda.ca.
- Read All About Lit Family Literacy Week blog posts throughout Family Literacy Week.
Local Family Literacy Week activities include:
- Book Scavenger Hunt and Park Exploration: Each day from January 23-30th a clue and photo will be posted on our Facebook page, which will allow you to use your super detective skill to find a package of books and goodies. Don’t forget to post a photo of the found package so we know it made it home safely. While you’re there, be sure to check out all the fun equipment available at the many parks in Fort St. John.
- StoryWalk: Thanks to the City of Fort St. John Recreation, there will be a StoryWalk at Matthews Park from Jan 17-30. Featuring the book All Right Already – A Snowy Story by Jory John and Benji Davies
- Literacy in the Kitchen – Meal Prep Edition:
We are excited to be teaming up with Beccalicious Cooking again to offer a FREE and interactive virtual Literacy in the Kitchen workshop: Meal Prep Edition.This 1.5 hr(ish) meal prep class is an overview of how to create some ease into our busy days!Proteins…Carbs…veggies
We will prep our veggies for the week, cook up our protein and carbs and use lots of fresh herbs and spices to make a simply delicious meal!A bundle of goodies, the Zoom link, shopping list and recipes will all be provided!This meal prep class is not intended for that nights dinner!
- Financial Literacy – How to Teach Your Kids About Money:
This workshop helps with the goals and challenges of raising money-smart kids.LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR PARTICIPANTS:
-obtain information and tips to raise kids who are financially independent and responsible
-better understand the challenges of raising money-smart kids
-learn how to address age-appropriate money-related topics with young kids, pre-teens, teenagers and emerging adultsThis is a FREE event, however please ensure you register as the Zoom link will only be sent to registered participants.
- Community Safety/Fire Prevention Live: The Fort St. John Fire Department for hosting a fire prevention/community safety live video on January 27th from 12:30pm-1:00pm
- Family Tree Activity Sheets: One great way to connect to your family and recognize all the things we can be grateful for is through the activity sheets found Here