September is Literacy Month!
September 1, 2022
We are once again celebrating Literacy Month with a 2022 theme of Literacy Connects Us!
- Literacy connects us to health. Canadians with stronger literacy skills enjoy better health.
- Literacy skills help us find, understand and use health information.
- Literacy connects us to our kids. Having books and reading aloud at home help develop children’s literacy skills.
- Literacy connects us to better finances. Strong numeracy skills help us manage our money.
- Literacy connects us to employment. Strong literacy skills are connected to having a job and earning more money.
- Literacy connects us to health and safety. Strong literacy skills help keep us safe at work.
- Literacy connects us to learning. People with stronger literacy skills are more likely to participate in adult education and job-related training.
In the community
- Literacy connects us to civic engagement. Canadians with strong literacy skills are more likely to vote and volunteer.
- Literacy connects us to others. Literacy skills help us communicate, participate and feel included.
- Literacy connects us to our rights. Literacy helps us understand our rights and responsibilities. It helps us understand what to do in legal proceedings.
- Literacy connects us to the digital world. Digital access and skills allow people to fully participate in society.
Please see below for some activities happening this month:
- September 8th: International Literacy Day – we will be joining many communities across BC with a purple light up in Fort St. John. Can you find it?
- September 10th: Visit us at the Community One Stop registration for fall program information and registration.
- September 13th – Any Book Club: One-day event at the Fort St. John Public Library for children ages 6-11 to bring in their favourite book to discuss and complete a craft.
- September 13th – Nutritional Literacy class with Beccalicious Cooking
- September 17th- 7 Teaching activity package pick up at the Fort St. John Public Library.
- September 19th – Talk like a Pirate Day: Picture contest with the Fort St. John Public Library.
- September19-25th – StoryWalk: Stuck – Oliver Jeffers at Fish Creek Community Forest. Thank you City of Fort St. John Recreation Department for putting this together!